YMCA January Recipes
Chicken Caesar Club
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and torn
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz pancetta, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 large ciabatta bread
- 1 container of boston bib lettuce, washed and spun dry
- Sundried tomato spread
- 2 - 3 oz Parmesan, shaved
Begin by gently frying the pancetta until crisp. Set aside to drain on paper towels.
Place the garlic and parsley in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until minced. Add the mustard, lemon juice, and mayonnaise and process again to make a smooth dressing. (Refrigerate the Caesar dressing if not using it immediately.)
Slice the ciabatta in half horizontally and separate the top from the bottom. Spread one cut side with the Caesar dressing and the other with the sundried tomato spread. Place half the lettuce on the bottom piece of bread and then layer in order: shaved Parmesan, crispy pancetta, and ripped chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and finish with another layer of lettuce. Place the top slice of ciabatta on top and cut. Serve at room temperature.
- Slices of sourdough, rye, or whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons prepared mayonnaise
- 1 recipe Tuna Salad, recipe follows
- 1 cup shredded sharp farmhouse Cheddar cheese
- Three 6-ounce cans white meat tuna packed in water, drained
- 3 tablespoons minced celery
- 2 tablespoons green onion, cut finely with scissors
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon of dill
- Freshly ground black pepper,
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste
Preheat the broiler and set the rack about 4 to 5 inches from the heat source.
Spread the bread out on a baking sheet and toast. Spread the toasted bread with the mayonnaise. Top with the Tuna Salad and then the shredded cheese. Place the baking sheet under the broiler and heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
In a small mixing bowl break up the tuna with a fork. Toss with the celery, onion, dill and parsley. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, and season with pepper to taste. Stir to combine. Add lemon juice.
- 4 english muffins
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tsp canola oil
- 8 slices peameal bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 75 g smoked cheddar, thinly sliced
- 1 gala apple, thinly sliced
In a small bowl, stir mustard with 2 Tbsp maple syrup. Set aside.
Pat bacon dry using a paper towel. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tsp oil then bacon, cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Wipe pan clean and add remaining oil. Crack eggs into pan, breaking yolks if desired. When whites are almost set, cover and cook 30 seconds more.
To assemble, cut 4 muffins in half. Smother both halves with maple-mustard mixture. Top bottom half with cheese, bacon, egg and apple slices. Sandwich with remaining muffins half.
Vegetarian Sloppy Joe
- Olive oil, to taste
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups of canned diced tomato
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- Hamburger buns
In a medium skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until semi-translucent.
Add the bell pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and salt and cook 2-3 minutes more, until the garlic is soft and fragrant. Season with salt.
Add the textured vegetable protein, beans, vegetable broth, tomato paste and canned tomatoes and stir well until combined. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove the lid and add the soy sauce, brown sugar, and yellow mustard. Mix to combine and cook for 3-4 more minutes, until the remaining liquid has been absorbed.
Serve on hamburger buns.