Woodstock Collegiate Institute
Mac and Cheese with Winter Squash
- 3 pound whole wheat shells, cooked ahead
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups low fat milk
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lb cooked winter squash puree, cooked ahead
- 6 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese low fat
- 2 cups Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parsley, cut finely with scissors
- 2 lb bacon, sliced in small pieces
Cook pasta in salty water until al dente pasta; set aside.
In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for about 1 minute, whisking constantly.
Pour in milk, broth, dry mustard, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Continue to stir slowly.
Bring to a boil then reduce to low. Whisk constantly until sauce begins to thicken.
Stir in winter squash and shredded cheese. Mix until melted, about 2-3 minutes.
Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Add reserved shells to the pot and stir until noodles are evenly coated.
Fry bacon until crispy. Remove and drain on paper towel. Toast bread crumbs in same pan with bacon fat. Season with salt. Mix with parsley. Top each bowl of mac and cheese with bread crumbs.
Kale salad with maple garlic vinaigrette
- 2 large bunches of kale, veins removed and finely shredded
- 2 carrots, grated
- 4 apples, cored 1 cm dice
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 3/4 cup craisins
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 3/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup olive oil/canola mix
- salt to taste
For dressing, pour Dijon, maple syrup, and garlic into a large mason jar. Add vinegar, oil, and season with salt to taste. Shake jar well until ingredients are combined.
To assemble salad: in a large bowl, combine shredded kale, carrot, apple, craisins, pumpkin seeds and feta. Add dressing and stir together.
Buckwheat ginger snaps
- 4 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 egg
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Stir together the first 6 ingredients. Combine the remaining ingredients and beat well. Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture, beating well (the dough will be pretty wet). Form into 1-inch balls and roll in granulated sugar.
Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 9 to 10 minutes, until nice and “cracked” on the top.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.