Soups On! Cooking Classes with YMCA
- Mexican Black Bean Stew with Cilantro Yogurt and Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
- Sweet Potato Soup with Fried Pancetta and Rosemary Croutons
- Miso Ginger Consommé with Watermelon Radish
- Apple and Parsnip Purée with Chili Oil
Mexican Black Bean Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole corn kernels (frozen, fresh, or canned)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1 litre veg stock (or water)
- 1⁄2 cup greek yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Blue corn tortilla chips
Mix first three ingredients and set aside to dollop onto bowls of Winished soup.
In a medium pot, heat olive oil. Sauté carrot, onion and celery until tender and
fragrant. Add garlic and spices, season with salt and pepper. Combine the rest of
ingredients into pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until rice is cooked.
Check seasoning. Garnish with greek yogurt mixture and tortilla chips.
Sweet Potato Soup with Fried Pancetta And Rosemary Croutons
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup sliced shallots (can be rough chopped in food processor)
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
- 4 cups sweet potato, small diced
- 2 litres chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 cups (1/3-inch) cubes country-style sourdough bread
- 150 grams thinly sliced pancetta
1. Melt 3 tbsp butter in a large saucepan, and sauté until shallots are soft and
golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in 2 teaspoon rosemary, then sweet potatoes
and broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes
or until sweet potatoes are cooked through, adding water by 1/4 cupfuls to
thin soup, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Puree soup in
blender or processor.
2. For garnish, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in small skillet over
medium-high heat. Add bread cubes and remaining 1 teaspoon rosemary and
sauté until croutons are crisp and golden, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt
3. Fry pancetta in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until crisp,
about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towels.
4. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with croutons and pancetta to serve.
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 7 tablespoons white miso (fermented soybean paste)
- 6 medium shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon tamari soy sauce
Garnishes may include: Thinly julienned carrots, thinly sliced radish, julienned
peppers, julienned snow peas
Using a Microplane or the Wine holes of a box grater, Winely grate ginger and
Whisk white miso and 6 cups water in a medium saucepan over medium heat
to combine. Add mushrooms and green onions and bring to a simmer (do not
boil). Add any other garnishes if desired.
Add soy sauce, ginger, garlic and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes,
until all vegetables are just cooked through. Serve immediately.
Apple and Parsnip Purée with Chili Oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large pinch nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 lbs parsnips, cut into 1 in pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs apples, peeled, quartered and cut into chunks
- 1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
- 150ml milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chili Oil
- 2 dried red chilis, soaked in warm water for 1 hour
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Gently fry the onions and parsnips for 15
minutes, or until the onions are softened. Add the garlic, nutmeg, apples and
season with salt and pepper and cook for a further two minutes, stirring regularly.
Pour over the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for
about 20 minutes, or until the parsnips are very soft. Remove from the heat and
season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Blend the mixture in a blender
Stir in the milk, adding a little extra if required. Season to taste with salt and freshly
ground black pepper.
For the Chili Oil: Remove chilis from water and squeeze excess moisture out. Blend
all ingredients except oil in a blender until roughly chopped. Slowly pour in the oil
until desired consistency is achieved. Season to taste.