Kid's Monthly Cooking Class Recipes - Sweet Potato
Sweet Potato Waffles
- 1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- Vegetable spray, for waffle iron
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
In another bowl combine the sweet potatoes, milk, brown sugar, butter, and grated orange rind.
Stir the sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture and thoroughly combine. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Gradually fold egg whites into batter 1/3 at a time. The batter will be thick.
Place a scoop of batter onto a preheated, oiled waffle iron, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 to 6 minutes.
Maple Syrup Whipped Cream
- 4 cups of 35% cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of ginger
- ½ teaspoon cloves
Combine all ingredients into a stand mixer bowl
Whip until cream has thickened and holds a firm peak. Spoon over waffles and top with maple syrup.
Sweet Potato Roll ups
- 10 Large Cooked Tortillas
- 2 Cups Cooked Sweet-Potato, mashed
- 2 Cups Cooked Chicken, shredded
- 1/4 Cup Green Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Cup of Grated Carrot
- 3/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 250 grams Cream Cheese (Room Temperature)
- 1/2 Cup Sour cream
- Dash of hot sauce
In a stand mixer or large bowl, mix together sour cream, cream cheese, and sweet potato. Using a spatula, stir in: onions, carrots, peppers, chicken, cheese, hot sauce and salt.
Take a tortilla and lay it flat on a surface.
Scoop 2 tbsp of the stuffing and spread evenly on the tortilla, leaving 1/2 inch away from the edges.
Roll the tortilla carefully and as tightly as possible.
Cut into bite size rounds and transfer to a serving dish.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 heads of kale, torn into bite size pieces
- 5 lbs of sweet potato, diced and roasted (done ahead)
- 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 2 pomegranates, seeded
- 1 cup of spiced pumpkin seeds (additional recipe!)
- 3 large pears, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- salt to taste
For dressing, pour Dijon, maple syrup, and garlic into a large mason jar. Add vinegar, oil, and season with salt to taste. Shake jar well until ingredients are combined.
To assemble salad: in a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients. Add dressing and lightly toss together.
Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until very well combined. Heat a pan over medium-low heat. When warm, add mixture and stir until pumpkin seeds begin to brown. Allow to cool before adding to the salad.