FASD November Cooking Class Recipes
- 1 3/4 cups milk - can use buttermilk, or a milk substitute
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch of chili powder
- 5 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter, melted and slightly cooled
- Non-stick pan spray
Whisk together the milk, eggs and honey in a small bowl.
Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, cumin, fine sea salt and cayenne in a large bowl.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and gently whisk together until just combined (do not over mix). Fold in the butter
Spray with nonstick pan spray, then ladle about 1/4 cup of the batter into each grid, close, and cook until golden brown on both sides and steam stops coming out from the iron, about 4 minutes.
Transfer the waffles to a baking sheet.
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 2 large onions, diced- done ahead
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- ½ butternut squash, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups of corn
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) tomatoes,undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Over medium heat fry onions until soft.
Add ground beef and season with salt. When beef is cooked, remove excess fat if necessary.
Add peppers, sweet potatoes, garlic and squash. Cook for 10 minutes. Add beans, corn, tomatoes, and spices. Simmer until sweet potato and squash are tender, about 30 minutes. Check seasoning.
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped hot peppers
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 1/2 bunch coriander with stems and leaves
- 5 ripe avocado
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons lime juice (or to taste)
Chop peppers, garlic and coriander together. Mash avocado to a rough paste. Add chili mixture and stir to combine. Season with salt and lime juice to taste.
- 2 cups of greek yogurt
- 1 lime, zested and squeezed
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
Mix all ingredients together and let sit