Cooking Class at CCH
- Cheesy Popcorn
- Sunbutter Apple Sandwiches
- Cheddar Cheese Puffs
- Tuna Salad Toasts
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (for popping corn)
- ¾ cup popcorn kernals
- 2 tablespoons butter flavoured olive oil or melted butter
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Pop popcorn according to instructions on machine. Mix spices and nutritional yeast together and set aside. Drizzle popcorn with oil and sprinkle with spice mix. Toss everything together and serve.
Apple Sunbutter Sandwiches
- 2 apples, sliced into ½ cm pieces, approximately 6 slices per apple
- 1 cup sunbutter
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- juice of 1 lemon
Cut apples into ½ cm pieces, and use a round cutter to remove the core. Rub apples with lemon juice immediately to prevent from browning.
Spread apple slices with sunbutter on two sides, and sprinkle one side with shredded coconut, and the other with chocolate chips. Place two sides together to make a sandwich.
Cheddar Cheese Puffs (makes 90 puffs)
Prep Time: 10 mins, Cook Time: 15 mins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons sesame or poppy seeds, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, cheese, butter and salt. Pulse until the mixture is crumbly.
3. Add the milk and pulse until the mixture forms a ball.
4. Using a 1 teaspoon measure, roll the dough into balls, then roll in the poppy seeds or sesame seeds, if desired.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
Note: You can use 2 teaspoons per ball to make larger puffs, and add 2 minutes to the cooking time.
Tuna Salad Toasts
- 12 ounces good-quality tuna, drained
- 2 stalks celery, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 pear, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill (or 1 tsp dried dill, optional)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
In a medium bowl, combine tuna, celery, apple, mayonnaise, dill, and lemon juice; mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
On a work surface, divide tuna salad among 4 slices bread; top with remaining 4 slices bread. Cut and serve.