Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Chicken and wild rice soup
- 2 cup uncooked wild rice blend (if you cannot find, red cargo rice works well)
- 2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 cup onions, chopped
- 1 ½ cups celery, chopped
- 1 ½ cups carrots, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (or substitute dried)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped (or substitute 1 1/2 tsp dried)
- 2 tsp fresh sage, chopped (or substitute 1 tsp dried)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 litre milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Place chicken, cut vegetables, chicken broth, and spices in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Let cook about 30 minutes until chicken cooked. Remove chicken from the pot, let cool, and add rice. When chicken is cool enough to handle shred chicken.
Continue to cook until rice is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Add the shredded chicken back into the pot. Melt the butter and oil in another saucepan. Add the flour and let the mixture cook for 1 minute. Whisk the mixture slowly while adding in the milk. Continue to whisk until all lumps have dissolved. Allow the mixture to thicken and become creamy.
Add this creamy mixture to the pot. Stir to combine. Add additional water or milk to your preference if the consistency is too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.