Centre Branch YMCA: Culinary Camp Adventures, Day Five
It's another post of the official Culinary Camp summer blog!
Every day our eager young chefs will be sharing their reflections on the day’s cooking experience. You will also see their photography of some of the tantalizing meals they’ve made, and the menus that left us smacking our lips and licking our plates.
Come join us in the kitchen!
Our culinary adventurers have traversed the globe and have made it safely home to enjoy a summer ahead of swimming and outdoor romping. Their final stop before a safe arrival was a journey to the land of raspberry jalapeno chicken sandwiches, a truly impressive country that only those with true bravery and skill could circumvent! But these adventurers were not daunted and passed with rainbow/delicious colours. Good thing they had just-melted chocolate fondue to further bolster their spirits!
Chocolate Fondue with Fresh Fruit
- 400g of good quality milk or dark chocolate – broken into chunks (Habitual Chocolate – in the Western Fair Market & at Fire Roasted coffee downtwon makes really good quality fair trade chocolate if you are looking for a local chocolate roaster.)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 500ml milk
- a selection of local fruits – chopped into bite sized pieces (we used cantaloupe, strawberries, banana, apple & pineapple)
Directions: Using a double boiler – (or bring a large pot of water to a boil and turn down to a simmer – place a metal bowl or smaller pot on top) - melt chocolate (a few pieces at a time) and butter together and whisk. Add milk and continue to whisk until chocolate is the proper consistency. It should be thick enough to stick to the fruit, but not so thick that it pulls the fruit off of the skewers
Raspberry Jalapeno Chicken Sandwiches on Focaccia
- flash pickled veggies - made with red wine vinegar and mustard seeds (we used peppers, purple carrots and onions!)
- 1 breast of chicken per sandwich
- raspberry jalapeno jam
- garlic butter
- fresh raspberries
Season's First Corn on the Cob
with a handful of exciting butters!
- cobs of market fresh corn
- one block of butter
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 bunch of tarragon
- 1 bunch of garlic scapes
- 1 bunch of chives
- 5 chopped jalapenos
- Squeeze (or two) of lime juice)
- Salt & pepper to taste
Directions: Mix together the ingredients in your favourite combinations in separate bowls of butter. Add to perfectly cooked cobs of corn and enjoy.