All Fresh Food Frenzy Field Trips for the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 school years are fully booked.
Growing Chefs! Ontario invites individual grade 1-3 classes on a field trip to visit the Covent Garden Farmers Market. Students explore the farmers market, purchase ingredients, and share their findings with the class then make a delicious three course lunch in the Market Kitchen. This program gives students a unique opportunity to connect with local farmers and learn about the journey of their food from farm to table..
How it Works
- Who it’s for: For individual classes, grade 1-3
- Classes visit the Covent Garden Market on a Thursday morning.
- The chefs and student groups take a tour of the Covent Garden Market to meet farmers and purchase ingredients with Harvest Bucks (vouchers provided by Growing Chefs!)
- After collecting ingredients from the market, students will work with Growing Chefs! staff and volunteers to cook a delicious lunch in the Market Kitchen!
- Timing: Field trips are 3 hours long, scheduled on Thursdays in September-October or May-June (harvest seasons) from 9:30-12:30.
- One teacher submits the application below on behalf of their class.
- Schools are responsible for providing transportation to and from the Covent Garden Market.
- Schools within Thames Valley District School Board will have their programming costs fully covered by Outdoor Education funding for the 2018-19 school year. There is no need for your school to apply for this funding, Growing Chefs! will coordinate with the school board directly. Funding for the 2019-20 school year is currently pending for TVDSB schools, so please consider a donation to support our programming instead.
- For other schools, this program has no cost to participating classes, however we ask that donations be made where possible to help us further the reach of our programs.