Hiring - Events Coordinator
Growing Chefs! Ontario is a registered charity based in London, Ontario that unites Chefs, growers, educators and community members in children’s food education projects. Our mission is to get kids excited about healthy wholesome food, and to build and maintain a healthy, empowered community that is engaged with its food system.
To support our food education programming, Growing Chefs! operates our Headquarters (HQ) - a converted restaurant that hosts children’s food education activities, plus private and public events. Increased activity in HQ means we’re in need of more dedicated front-of-house support.
Therefore, Growing Chefs! Ontario is now hiring a full time, salaried, entry-level position as an Event Coordinator to join our team at 460 King Street, London.
The Event Coordinator will report jointly to the Facility Director & Facility Administrator, and will be required to assist in the organization of, and execution of, all public and private events, both in our space and within the local community. The Events Coordinator will also be responsible for communicating with food education staff to ensure the facility is appropriately used to the benefit of both Events and Programming. Growing Chefs! Ontario is working towards a sustainable “social enterprise” business model in which revenue generated from our events turns back into food education programming. Therefore, although the Events Coordinator will not be directly involved in the delivery of food education programs, their role is vitaly important to the achievement of our mission. Key responsibilities will include the coordination, maintenance and upkeep of the facility on a daily basis (HQ), execution of service systems and protocols for Front of House staff, event logistics and design, as well as fire safety protocols. This role has direct interaction with our guests, and therefore requires excellent customer service.
This is an exciting opportunity to increase your supervisory experience and to meaningfully contribute to the development of a local, non-profit organization. The successful applicant will gain a full perspective on the inner workings of a registered charity and experiences that are applicable to both the for-profit and non-profit sectors.
- Execute the set up and use of our Headquarters (such as full service dinners, receptions, corporate bookings) as directed by the Facility Director / Facility Administrator
- Contribute to on-site event design, management and implementation
- Develop and implement effective service systems and protocols
- Manage and train Front of House staff and volunteers during events
- Directly support GCO Management in event administration tasks (such as service contract creation, invoicing, bar inventory, order fulfillment, tax receipting, etc. as needed)
- Manage facility care, cleaning, maintenance and supply ordering/tracking
- Meet with the Facility Director and/or Facility Administrator on a regular basis to coordinate event management, share information, and report progress
- Abide by all personnel policies and guidelines as prescribed by Growing Chefs! Ontario
- Abide by and train FOH staff / volunteers, per the FOH manual
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with Growing Chefs! staff, management, volunteers, community members and our Board of Directors
- Participate as needed in GCO educational programming
Skills and Experience
- Strong organizational, planning and time management skills
- Work experience in the hospitality, food service and/or event industry preferred
- Supervisory experience is an asset, but not mandatory
- Smart Serve and Safe Food Handling certification required
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as most events are scheduled at these times
- Able to set priorities, monitor progress towards goals, and track information
- Adaptable and solutions-oriented
- Able to work independently and as part of the Growing Chefs! Ontario team
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Interest in any or all of the following: event planning, cooking, gardening, sustainable food systems, community building, children’s programming, fundraising
- Experience working or volunteering in a non-profit also an asset
Please send cover letter and resume via email to the attention of our Facility Director, Jen Wyant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until Monday, July 23, 2018 at 5pm. Interviews will be scheduled for: July 24 & 25; and / or Aug. 1 & 2. While we appreciate the time and enthusiasm of all applicants, only those selected for interview will be contacted. Please note that Growing Chefs! HQ is not an accessible space.