Growing Chefs! Family Recipe - Roasted Potato Salad
We have started a fun project that we hope will spread some much needed cheer and inspiration during our time at home and away from the kitchen at Growing Chefs! Our staff would like to welcome you into their own kitchens and families, and will be sharing some of their favourite recipes that they cook at home. Try them out and let us know what you think. We would love to see some pictures from you and hear what you are cooking at home as well! Please enjoy this scrumptious recipe coming to you from Christy’s (Education Projects and Volunteer Coordinator) kitchen!
This Roasted Potato Salad is one of my favourite recipes to bring to potlucks with family and friends! I’ve had so many people ask for the recipe that I know it’s a keeper.
I’d like to highlight some special ingredients I used this time. We’ve all seen white and brown eggs, but have you heard of blue eggs?? These blue eggs (white egg in the photo below for contrast) were collected by my niece Imogen on her family hobby farm, where they raise all different breeds of chickens, and even ducks and bunnies. The reason these eggs are blue is because they are from an Araucana chicken!
The green onions are also a special addition because I grew them myself! I rarely ever need to buy green onions because I grow my own in my kitchen window from scraps. You can see mine growing beside an avocado tree I planted from a pit. Try it yourself! Check out these simple instructions to try regrowing food scraps at home!
Creamy Roasted Potato Salad
- 3 pounds baby potatoes, quartered
- 4 eggs, hard boiled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or greek yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced (or chives)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°, line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Toss potatoes with oil, salt, pepper and smoked paprika
- Roast potatoes for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, flipping halfway
- Allow potatoes to cool for 15 minutes
- While potatoes cool, in a small bowl, mix together dressing: mayo, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, parsley, dill, salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, toss cooled potatoes with dressing
- Cool in refrigerator for 1-2 hours (or make ahead the night before)
- Top with sliced boiled eggs, and garnish with green onions
- I used baby red and yellow potatoes, but feel free to larger potatoes diced into 1 inch cubes
- When I’m making this recipe at home for my family, I like to skip the step of allowing the potatoes to cool completely, and enjoy this potato salad warm
- If you have them, fresh dill and parsley taste even better than dried
- For a vegan version, try skipping the eggs, replacing the mayo/sour cream with oil, and increasing the vinegar to make a yummy vinaigrette instead!