Back for another year…The Beet Café!
This summer, you can fill your belly and your heart with a quick visit to The Beet Café stand at some of London’s best outdoor festivals! This summer marks the third year that Growing Chefs! Ontario will be offering delicious and lovingly-prepared food at festivals with every dollar made going right back into The Beet – an educational, skill-building program that focuses on food preparation, hospitality, and business development.
Set aside some time to try this summer’s menu offerings—Blueberry Chicken Mole, a Pulled Pork Burrito Bowl, and a Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl. Make sure you visit enough to try them all—yum! We can’t wait to hear which one’s your favourite!
Here’s where you’ll find us:
July 7-10: Sunfest
July 15-17: Home County Music and Art Festival
July 30: Food Day Canada Local Food BBQ at the Covent Garden Market
August 13: Mantis Eco & Arts Festival
August 13: Forest City Beer Fest
August 20: Pond Mills Community Picnic
August 20: Maria Lucia Children’s Community Picnic
The Beet gives youth an opportunity to work under some of London’s best chefs, and provides you with a great option for healthy, delicious and locally-sourced (where possible) meal. We are featuring free-range chicken from Frisa Farms (Strathroy), chocolate and cocoa nibs from Habitual Chocolate (London), queso fresco from Local Dairy (Ingersoll), corn shoots from Slegers Greens (Strathroy), kale and asparagus from Eco Logic (Aylmer), tomatoes and cucumbers from Joyce Farms (London).
Here's some more information about our awesome local partners:
- Frisa Farms (Strathroy): Our eggs are specially selected, premium quality product, inspected and graded out our federally certified on-site grading station. We deliver eggs fresh, direct from the farm to your door with no middleman. Our family-owned and operated farm is located Northwest of Strathroy. We are a smaller farm with about 12 000 white laying hens, which we raise from day-old chicks. Being involved from the beginning means we can be assured of our hens’ well-being.
- Habitual Chocolate (London): Habitual Chocolate returns to one of the lost culinary arts of producing handcrafted chocolates from the beans we have sourced on our travels. The beans come from a number of small family farms, and these single varietals cacao beans are brought to Woodstock, ON, where they are produced in an authentic rustic style. We put our passion into showcasing the unique tastes, flavours and characteristics of each country of Origin.
- Local Dairy (Ingersoll): For ebout 3 decades our customers have trusted us to provide them with the freshest, purest all- natural dairy products. Our milk is delivered daily from local farms in and around Oxford County, Canada’s Dairy Capital, and is processed on-site by our family and staff members into the finest, freshest dairy products available.
- Slegers Greens (Strathroy): Slegers Greens is a family owned greenhouse operation located at the edge of Strathroy, 20 minutes west of London. We have been producing greens since 1987. We became organicaly certified in 2004, after many years of interest in organics and several growing trials to find organic techniques that were effective and compatable with our growing system.
- Eco Logic (Aylmer): We have operated our nursery since 1980 but have now evolved into a more comprehensive farm. Our emphasis is on enviromentally favourable practices. We are a carbon-negative operation as well ECO Logic is a small-scale family-run operation, specializing in rare and unique plants that are native and hardy to this region.
- Joyce Farms (London): Joyce farms is a popular Covent Garden Farmers' Market vendor (also appearing at other area outdoor farmers' markets) with a wide selection of locally grown vegetables and fruits. The Joyces are proud to supplement local “backyard gardens” with their own fresh produce and offer Islanders a healthy choice over imported goods.