YMCA Holiday Hors D’oeuvres Recipes
- Clementine dipped in chocolate with salt
- Kale caesar salad bite
- Roasted butternut squash squares, maple goat cheese, pumpkin seeds
- Feta and sun-dried tomato on crostini
- Christmas Bark
- Cucumber Cups
- Brussel sprout sliders
Clementine with Chocolate and Sea Salt
- 8 medium clementines
- 4 -ounce dark chocolate bar (60-70% cocoa), finely chopped
- Sea salt
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Peel and segment clementines, set aside. Gently melt chocolate in a small bowl over a double boiler. Working in small batches, dip segments in chocolate and transfer to parchment-lined sheet. Immediately sprinkle segments with a few grains of salt before the chocolate begins to set. Once all pieces have been dipped, set the sheet aside until chocolate hardens. To quickly harden chocolate, transfer baking sheet to the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Serve at room temperature.
Kale Caesar Salad Bite
- Parmesan x 30 shavings
- Dried kale chips x 30 pieces
- Crostini x 30
- Prosciutto x 30, 2 inch pieces
- Lemon Garlic Aioli
Lemon Garlic Aioli
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Dijon
- 1 lemon zest, 1 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
To make aioli, mix all ingredients in a small bowl with spatula. Each Caesar salad bite gets one piece of crostini. Spread a small amount of aioli on each crostini, then place one piece of prosciutto, one kale chip, and one piece of parmesan cheese. (If desired, fry off pieces of prosciutto to make crispy)
Roasted Butternut Squash Squares with Maple Goat Cheese and Pumpkin Seeds
- 30 ½ inch cubes butternut squash
- ½ cup goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, and sauté squash on medium high heat, until squash is tender throughout and all sides are evenly browned. Remove from heat and cool. In a medium bowl mix goat cheese with maple syrup and a pinch of salt. Put goat cheese into a piping bag and pipe small bits on top of each squash, and top with a couple of pumpkin seeds.
Feta and Sun-Dried Tomato Crostini
- 8-10 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- olive oil
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- ¾ cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 30 crostini
Place the feta, cream cheese, and 1 tbsp olive oil in a large mixing bowl.
With the back of a spoon, press until the cheeses are softened and well-combined.
Add the remaining ingredients, 2 tbsp olive oil and gently combine.
Place tablespoon of mixture onto toasted crostini and serve.
- 350 g dark chocolate bar (60-70% cocoa)
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Dried Cranberries
- Coconut flakes
- Course salt if desired
Melt chocolate over a double boiler. Spoon melted chocolate onto a parchment lined baking tray, making two-bite sized circles. Sprinkle toppings over chocolate and refrigerate until firm.
- 2 english cucumbers
- 4 oz. cream cheese (half a block), softened
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Cut cucumber into 1 inch pieces and scoop out some of the seeds from one side. The side of cucumber fully intact will be the bottom and the scooped out side will be the top. Mix all other ingredients together and place into a piping bag. Pipe small rosettes into scooped out section of cucumber. Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika or dill.
Brussel Sprout Sliders
Serves: makes 20 full sliders or 40 half (open-faced) sliders
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- Sea salt to taste
- 30 medium Brussels sprouts, trimmed of any dry edges (but don’t slice off the whole core), roasted and cooled
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
- Small block of Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced and cut the same size as a sprout
Warm 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and a sprinkle of salt. Sauté, stirring frequently, until they become more golden in colour, about 15-20 minutes. Lower the heat a little and continue to cook until they are tender.
Cut the roasted brussels sprouts in half from top to bottom, keeping the two halves close together.
Take one half of a brussels sprout, smear with mustard, add a piece of Gruyere and a pinch of onions. Take the other half of the Brussels sprout and position it so the two sprouts are like the buns on a burger, with the cut sides facing each other, and secure with a toothpick. Serve at room temperature or warm on a baking sheet in a 325 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes.