UWO Cooking Class Recipes
Lentil Bolognese on Pappardelle
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, center germ removed and finely chopped 450 gr. cremini mushrooms, half sliced and half cut into fine strips 1 cup | 100 gr. Sunflower seeds, finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked green or brown lentils
- 2 400 ml. cans peeled, chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/4 tsp ( or more ) dried chili flakes
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
STEP BY STEP
Heat up the olive oil in a pot or wide saucepan on medium heat.
Add the chopped onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the onions become translucent — but not brown.
Add the cremini mushrooms and cook for 6-8 minutes, during which the mushrooms will release their water.
Once this water has completely evaporated and the mixture is fairly dry, add all the herbs and spices, the apple cider vinegar and tomato paste. Mix well to ensure the mushrooms are well coated in the spices.
Add the chopped plum tomatoes and the canned peeled tomatoes and mix again.
Allow to cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the lentils and chopped walnuts and cook for an extra 5 minutes.
Remove from heat blitz a few times with hand blender, not until all smooth. Serve with a
serving of cooked pasta
Sweet Potato Cookies with Lemon Glaze
- 1 medium sweet potato 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1⁄4 tsp pure vanilla extract 1⁄4 tsp ground cinnamon 1⁄8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbl. Sugar
1. Set the toaster oven to the bake setting at 400°F.
2. Poke holes in the sweet potato with a fork. Place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
3. Set the toaster oven to 350°F.
4. Remove skin and place in a mixing bowl. Using a hand blender (or a spoon or potato masher) mash the potato to get a creamy consistency. Add in the oats, maple syrup, vanilla, and spices. Mix until well combined.
5. Make tablespoon-sized dough balls and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Arrange them so that none of them are touching the edges of the tray or each other. Slightly flatten the cookies with your palm.
6. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before transferring to cool completely on a wire rack.
For the glaze: using 1/2 cup of icing suger, add lemon juice from 1 lemon until you reach desired consistancy.