Meal Prep Monday Recipes
Macaroni and Cheese with Butternut Squash
- 1-2 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 10 cups)
- 3 cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds elbow macaroni (chef will have cooked already)
- 4 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 6 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine squash, stock, and milk in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Mash contents of saucepan; stir in nutmeg, cayenne, and salt, and season with black pepper. Stir to combine.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles; cook until al dente according to package instructions, about 8 minutes. Drain, and transfer to a large bowl; stir in squash mixture, cheddar, ricotta, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
Lightly coat a 9-inch square baking dish (4 inches deep) with cooking spray. Transfer noodle mixture to dish. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and oil; sprinkle evenly over noodle mixture.
Cover with foil, and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil, and continue baking until lightly browned and crisp on top, 30 to 40 minutes more. Serve immediately.