Growing Chefs! Ontario invites individual grade 1-3 classes on a field trip to visit the Covent Garden Farmers Market. Students explore the farmers market, purchase ingredients, and share their findings with the class then make a delicious three course lunch in the Market Kitchen. This program gives students a unique opportunity to connect with local farmers and learn about the journey of their food from farm to table..
How it Works
- Who it’s for: For individual classes, grade 1-3
- Classes visit the Covent Garden Market on a Thursday morning.
- The chefs and student groups take a tour of the Covent Garden Market to meet farmers and purchase ingredients with Harvest Bucks (vouchers provided by Growing Chefs!)
- After collecting ingredients from the market, students will work with Growing Chefs! staff and volunteers to cook a delicious lunch in the Market Kitchen!
- Timing: Field trips are 3 hours long, scheduled on Thursdays in September-October or May-June (harvest seasons) from 9:30-12:30.
- One teacher submits the application below on behalf of their class.
- Schools are responsible for providing transportation to and from the Covent Garden Market.
- This program has no cost to participating classes, however we ask that donations be made where possible to help us further the reach of our programs.