Growing Chefs! Ontario invites individual grade 1-3 classes on a field trip to visit the Covent Garden Farmers Market. Students explore the farmers market, purchase ingredients, and share their findings with the class then make a delicious three course lunch in the Market Kitchen. This program gives students a unique opportunity to connect with local farmers and learn about the journey of their food from farm to table..
How it Works
- Who it’s for: For individual classes, grade 1-3
- Classes visit the Covent Garden Market on a Thursday morning.
- The chefs and student groups take a tour of the Covent Garden Market to meet farmers and purchase ingredients with Harvest Bucks (vouchers provided by Growing Chefs!)
- After collecting ingredients from the market, students will work with Growing Chefs! staff and volunteers to cook a delicious lunch in the Market Kitchen!
- Timing: Field trips are 3 hours long, scheduled on Thursdays in September-October or May-June (harvest seasons) from 9:30-12:30.
- One teacher submits the application below on behalf of their class.
- Schools are responsible for providing transportation to and from the Covent Garden Market.
- Schools within Thames Valley District School Board will have their programming costs fully covered by Outdoor Education funding. There is no need for your school to apply for this funding, Growing Chefs! will coordinate with the school board directly.
- For other schools, this program has no cost to participating classes, however we ask that donations be made where possible to help us further the reach of our programs.