Strive Conference Recipes
- Butternut squash mac and cheese
- Turkey confetti meatballs
- Lentil meatloaf
- Harvest kale salad
- Carrot apple salad
Macaroni and Cheese with Butternut Squash
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 pound), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated (about 1 cup)
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine squash, stock, and milk in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Mash contents of saucepan; stir in nutmeg, cayenne, and salt, and season with black pepper. Stir to combine.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles; cook until al dente according to package instructions, about 8 minutes. Drain, and transfer to a large bowl; stir in squash mixture, cheddar, ricotta, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
Lightly coat a 9-inch square baking dish (4 inches deep) with oil. Transfer noodle mixture to dish. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and oil; sprinkle evenly over noodle mixture.
Cover with foil, and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil, and continue baking until lightly browned and crisp on top, 30 to 40 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Turkey Meatballs and Marinara
- 3 cups marinara sauce, house made
For the meatballs:
- 1½ tbsp canola oil
- 1½ lbs ground turkey
- ¾ cup finely grated zucchini (about ½ large zucchini)
- ¾ cup finely grated carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs*
Prepare the meatballs:
Combine the ground turkey with the zucchini, carrot, garlic, salt, parsley, thyme, pepper, egg, and bread crumbs in a large bowl, being careful not to over mix or the meat will become tough. Form into about (15) 2" meatballs. Heat the canola oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat, and add the meatballs. Brown on the top and bottom, about 2 minutes per side, and remove from the pan. Place in the slow cooker with the marinara and cook on low for 2 hours or until cooked through.
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 1/2 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Add salt to water and boil in a saucepan.
Add lentils and simmer covered 25-30 minutes, until lentils are soft and most of water is evaporated.
Drain and partially mash lentils.
Scrape into mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
Stir in onion, oats and cheese until mixed.
Add egg, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, seasoning salt and pepper.
Spoon into loaf pan that has been well-greased.
Smooth top with back of spoon.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30- 45 minutes until top of loaf is dry, firm and golden brown.
Cool in pan on rack for about 10 minutes.
Run a sharp knife around edges of pan then turn out loaf onto serving platter.
Kale Salad with Maple Garlic Vinaigrette
- 1 large bunch of kale, veins removed and finely shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 apples, cored 1 cm dice
- ½ cup craisins
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup feta, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- salt to taste
For dressing, pour Dijon, maple syrup, and garlic into a large mason jar. Add vinegar, oil, and season with salt to taste. Shake jar well until ingredients are combined.
To assemble salad: in a large bowl, combine shredded kale, carrot, apple, craisins, pumpkin seeds and feta. Add dressing and stir together.
Shredded Apple Carrot Salad
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 apple, cored and shredded or diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
Mix carrots, apple, and parsley together in a bowl.
Whisk lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper together in a separate bowl; slowly drizzle canola oil into lemon juice mixture while continuing to whisk. Pour dressing over carrot mixture; toss to coat.